Tips for managing your greenhouse risks and insurance
Added on 26 May 2023
For the purpose of this article, I’ll guide you through the most common risks within the horticulture industry, including several safety tips and insurance considerations to protect your operations. That way you can focus on what matters most — your business.
Workplace Injury Risks
More than 30% of workplace injuries involve employees who’ve been on the job for less than one year, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This is why providing workplace safety training as part of onboarding is an excellent way to help reduce injury risks among new employees. It’s also why workers’ compensation insurance plays a key role in protecting your business from liabilities in case of an unexpected work-related injury.
Still, prevention should be your number one goal. Your safety plan should include policies that help you:
- Incorporate daily safety practices into your routine.
- Conduct pre-shift huddles to review daily tasks and remind workers of safety protocols.
- Use a checklist to conduct regular safety inspections.
- Establish a safety committee led by qualified employees.
- Provide comprehensive training to employees to ensure they can perform their tasks safely.
- Develop a system for reporting incidents as soon as they happen.
Image by drobotdean on Freepik