Kearny, NJ, United States
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed Senior Scientist to join the AgScience Team. The Senior Scientist will be responsible for developing a program of research that drives yield and quality improvements for current and future Bowery products. Bringing expertise in plant physiology, horticulture, the senior scientist will develop novel growth recipes that result in yield and quality gains as well as work to develop new cultivars for commercial production. Working closely with other Scientists and Farm Manager, the Senior Scientist will drive new scientific insights through rapid and iterative experimentation to create new value and market opportunities for Bowery.
What You'll Do
· Design and execution of experiments in controlled environments, pilot and production scale vertical farms with leafy and fruiting crops
· Data analysis and reporting of experimental results
· Communication of scientific insights to peers and leadership
· Integration of computer vision, sensing data and other experimental observations for new agronomic, biological and physiological insights
What You Have
· Plant physiology, horticultural or plant science experience
· Understanding of plant production systems in greenhouses, growth chambers, and plant tissue culture vessels
· Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
· Track record of impact from scientific research
· Curiosity and innovative use of technologies in plant science
A M.Sc or Ph.D in Horticulture, Plant Science, Plant Physiology or Controlled Environment Science is required.
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital.
Click here to apply for this job online.