Dümmen Orange is an international leading breeding company focused on cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Assistant Trait Discovery.
Our organization grows and flourishes. To strengthen our Trait Discovery team we are looking for a Research Assistant.
With your background on genetics, plant physiology, phenotyping methods, statistics and experimental design you will contribute to the development of populations for genetic studies and phenotyping methods for a variety of traits in different crops. In addition you will support the pre-breeding activities through the acquisition of genetic resources and transference of traits to breeding. Daily activities are dynamic, consisting mostly of hands-on activities and some office based tasks. You work both independently and as part of a team within and between disciplines (including Genetics, Physiology and Phytopathology). In addition, you maintain a network of stakeholders such as Operations and Breeding. You report to the Project Lead Trait Discovery in De Lier. Availability to travel to other company locations in the Netherlands and Germany is highly desired.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Develop innovative and efficient methods for phenotyping of large germplasm panels;
• Develop populations to support genetic studies and pre-breeding activities;
• Manage project activities according to the project plans and keep timelines;
• Design and execute experiments independently or as part of a team;
• Analyze the results and write reports;
• Collect, curate and integrate plant genetics resources and phenotypic datasets;
• Work with the image and data analysis programs ImageJ and R;
• Search and read scientific papers and write protocols and literature reviews;
• Support stakeholders at different company locations in the Netherlands and Germany;
• Perform scouting activities for novel relevant methods, tools and technologies.
• MSc degree in a relevant fields of Plant Sciences, Genetics or Breeding;
• Needed experience with phenotyping methods, experimental design, image analysis, data collection, statistical analysis and visualization;
• Desired experience with the data and image analysis programs R and ImageJ. Experience with other relevant programming languages are a plus;
• Able to handle (plan and execute) a large diversity of activities mostly comprising of hands-on tasks both in the greenhouse and laboratory;
• Able to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams;
• Analytical and critical mindset with strong problem-solving and pro-active attitude;
• Excellent communication skills and command of the English language, both verbal and written. Dutch is preferred.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is a worldwide leader in breeding and development of flowers and plants. Our annual turnover is around 360 million euro. We have more than 7.700 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to our Dümmen Orange success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. We take pride in our corporate social responsibility efforts investing in the health, safety, and personal development of our staff as well as in innovative and sustainable techniques.
If you have questions about the job, you can contact Ana Campos (Technology Lead Trait Exploration), via +31 174 530 100.
Click here to apply for this job online.