Job Type: Full-time
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Company: Westcoast Vegetables Ltd.
email: ron@ westcoastvegetables.ca
Contact: Ron Van Marrewyk
Westcoast Vegetables Ltd., located in Delta, British Columbia, is looking for an outstanding and committed Greenhouse Assistant Grower for our labour and growing operations in our 18-acre, long English cucumber greenhouse.
You demonstrate and exude confidence in all your work through competency and personal integrity. This will be evident in your independent and collaborative leadership. You display professionalism, are safety conscious, motivated, goal oriented and results driven. In this position, you’ll maintain a “safety-first” mentality and have a great appreciation that “your employees are your biggest assets.” You work beside – and sometimes between – the Head Grower and your employees to ensure the department consistently produces top-quality long English cucumbers.
· Assist the Head Grower to achieve maximum yield with lowest costs while maintaining high-quality standards.
· Complete daily labour quality and efficiency checks, and crop registration. Schedule, track and accurately report all greenhouse labour data in a timely manner.
· Complete all Integrated Pest Management (IPM) tasks; biological orders, inputs and greenhouse sprays.
· Collaborate and maintain the greenhouse operation with large or small repairs as needed by being hands-on and creative.
· Complete daily key operational checklists, including nutrition and fertilizer checks.
· Monitor, operate and report greenhouse operations during scheduled rotations in collaboration with the Head Grower.
· Monitor new variety trial work, and prepare and track cumulative picking totals.
· Participate in any required company committees and meetings, including health and safety, food-safety, and management meetings.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must have:
· A background in greenhouse operation through schooling and work experience.
· Exceptional people skills. A true motivator with a passion to help staff feel appreciated and valuable.
· The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (Spanish or Punjabi is an asset).
· A relentless passion to solve both human and operational issues.
· Highly organized and self-motivated in efficiently prioritizing the workload of others and oneself.
We offer the ability to work with a great team, freedom to succeed and grow, a competitive salary, bonus and benefits – and in the scenic landscapes and welcoming community of Delta, B.C.
Founded in 1999, Westcoast Vegetables Ltd. grows and packages greenhouse long English cucumbers (18 acres) and sweet bell peppers (35 acres) in Delta, B.C. We use the latest growing and packaging technology.
If this sounds like a fit, we’d like to hear from you.